We are now able to resume a programme of walks. Please note
- Walks will not be published in a printed programme as that requires them to be arranged several months in advance. Please refer to this webpage for details of walks.
- Owing to the limited number of Walks Leaders we may not be
able to run a walk every week. If you would like to lead a walk please contact
the Walks Coordinator (see Contacts page).
- To manage numbers, booking will be needed for most walks. Follow the appropriate link to SignUpGenius and follow the instructions there.
- Non members are welcome on walks but we ask for a donation of £2 each. Some walks aimed at attracting non members will be advertised in the local press.
- You are responsible for your own safety and for ensuring you choose a walk you can manage and are adequately equipped.
- Unless otherwise stated, dogs on leads are welcome. Be aware that we may encounter cows.
- Walks are graded as follows
- Easy. Up to 4 miles (1½ - 2hrs), less than 50m of continuous ascent, mainly low gradients or flat. Terrain mainly undemanding, eg reasonable paths used, little loose rock, stones or large areas of mud or water.
- Moderate. 4 – 6 miles (2- 3½ hrs), 50m-150m of continuous ascent, terrain undulating but either one significant hill or several smaller ones. Terrain may include small areas of rock, loose stones, mud, minor scrub.
- Harder. More than 6 miles of the type of walking in the Moderate class, or continuous steep ascents of more than 150m (400ft) or a number of smaller steep hills or more than one of these features. Terrain as Moderate class or worse.
For any queries please contact the Walk Coordinator (see Contact page).
Saturday 2nd October 2021 Ebbor Gorge
On the day of the walk please do not attend if you are feeling unwell or display any symptoms of COVID 19. Please contact the leader, Terry Gifford tel. no. 01749 679128 to record your absence.
Ebbor Gorge. Meet at Ebbor Gorge car park, BA5 1AY. Map ref. ST483521. Start time 1pm. A moderate walk up Ebbor Gorge and back via the spectacular Wells skyline.
Sunday 3rd October West Harptree and Hinton Blewitt.
Meet at 2 pm at Herriots Bridge on the A368 at the south end of the Chew valley
Lake (BS39 5XR). Five miles starting with a stiff climb. Dogs on leads
OK but we may encounter cows. Moderate. Contact: Peter 01761 221995. ST
571 581. Non members especially welcome. No need to book for this one.
Saturday 9th October 2021 Paulton
On the day of the walk please do not attend if you are feeling unwell or display any symptoms of COVID 19. Please contact the leader, Beryl Howe, tel. no. 01761 412045 or 07800630004 to record your absence.
Meet at Paulton ‘free’ car park, BS39 7NW. Map ref. ST625 565. (What3words)
bulky,valve,rooting. Start time 2pm. A moderate walk along paths and minor roads to wind turbines above High Littleton with good views. Back along the coal canal. Five and a half miles long. Dogs welcome on a lead.
Copyright 2020 The Mendip Society